Yumm!

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

A guide to food buying for the newby Gluten Free Gal or Guy!

My mom and sister are both trying to go gluten free. They have constant headaches and Migraines and were ready to give it a try. My mom is about 1 week gluten free now and she said she is feeling GREAT! My sister is getting into it slowly and I will be making her gluten free meals this weekend to show her it is not tough and it is good! I thought I would put together a list of things that I wish I had when I first went Gluten Free. You will need these for most recipes.

Rice Flour
Brown Rice Flour
Tapioca Flour (Tapioca Starch is the same)
Corn Starch
Potato Starch (Potato Flour is different)
Sweet Rice Flour
Sorghum Flour
Baking Powder
Corn Meal
Millet Flour
Arrowwood Starch
Almond Flour
Xanthan Gum
AppleSauce
Oats

It seems overwhelming at first but once you get it all it is not soo bad. YES it is more expensive than buying normal flour but you will feel soo much better that you will figure a way to keep it in your budget. I get some of my flours (white rice, sweet rice, tapioca, potato) at the asian market for DIRT CHEAP. The rest of the items are either at the supermarket or Amazon.com is great for speciality flours!! I also bought lock n locks from QVC since I wanted my products to stay fresh.

No comments:

Post a Comment