Yumm!

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Gluten Free Bagels

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Bagels. I used to eat them all the time. Panera is one of my favorites! I saw a recipe for bagels and HAD to try it! Well, it was worth it as these are amazing. No, they are not panera bagels BUT they are going to fill that need for me when I just HAVE to have a bagel with cream cheese!
Source: Modified from Recipezaar.com
2/3 cup lukewarm skim milk
2 Tbls yeast
2 tsp sugar (plus dump a bit in the boiling water)
2 Eggs
1 cup potato starch
1 cup tapioca flour
1/2 cup cornstarch
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp xanthan gum
1 tsp salt (plus put some in the boiling water)
1/2 tsp cider vinegar (I forgot this but it still worked out. I would use though)
Preheat oven to 375 and put a pot of salted/sugar water on to boil. In a large bowl, combine milk, yeast and sugar. Stir well to dissolve yeast. Mix in eggs. Add remaining ingredients. Mix well to remove all lumps. (I always do in the mixer for a few minutes to get some air into the batter).
Divide dough into 6 portions. (use the middles of them to make an additional bagel. I got 7 out of this) Press into a round shape and use something to cut a hole in the middle. Remember these rise and expand so make the hole larger.



Gently place bagels into the boiling water. Boil bagels for approx 1 minute each (do them seperatly). Remove them from the water with a large spoon that has holes in it.



Place on a greased baking sheet. If desired brush with egg wash. Bake in oven for 15-18 minutes until golden brown!

YUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!! I will be freezing these and taking them out as needed for sure!



Nutrition Facts- 1 bagel. 277 calories and 2.9 grams of fat..1.2 sat fat. I think this is about right but this was based off of one bagel and I had 7 here.. plus I changed the ingredients to skim milk and changed out the flours a bit.. Either way it is a bagel.. not something you want to eat all the time but nice for a treat!

No comments:

Post a Comment